Here are some end products for year 2 from May 2013's Open House.
More about the process later! It was an exciting spring!
- black and white dioramas
- canoe sketches and blueprints with measurements
- realia in the form of a 16.5 ft. canoe and two small metal models of Uncle Reuben's childhood home and school wth students to answer all of their questions
- video interview between "Uncle Reuben" and a reporter
- silent movie made by five 2nd graders
- posters about the 1920's popular culture
- photographs of transportaion from the 1920's and 30's
- posters of students' family trees that were completed at home with their families
- timelines of Uncle Reuben's life
- demonstrations of how to use the scale key on a map to measure the miles
- notebooks full of primary sources to explain to visitors
- 20 confident seven and eight year-olds proudly talking about their newly acquired knowledge
- one proud teacher who was already planning their next authentic learning experience in her imagination